Jephthah made a vow to the Lord and said: If you book entirely in my hands the Ammonites, whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return from the Ammonites will be devoted to the Lord, and I will offer a burnt offering ... I too opened his mouth before the Lord, and I can not go back. (Judges 11:30-31,35)
Jephthah had made a terrible vow.
Sometimes when we are in trouble, that's what we do. "God, if only you pull me from this predicament, so I'll do this and this." When a person has made a vow unwise, it is really better than she confesses the sin of having made a vow reckless, rather than insisting and his vow. In the case of Jephthah, his vow was a greater sin than to break his vow.
SOME WISHES SHOULD SIMPLY NOT BE FOLLOWED. BUT THERE ARE OTHERS WHO WISHES ON YOU CAN NOT GO BACK.
I opened my mouth before the Lord and confessed that Jesus Christ is my Savior that I depend solely on Him for my salvation and that He is Lord of my life.
And for this reason, there are certain things I can not do. First, I can not go back to my old life of sin and selfishness. With the apostles, I must declare "Lord, you alone have the words of eternal life. Who would I go? The second: I can not deny the love and peace that Jesus has brought into my life.
__________
Lord, if we have strayed from that first love, help us listen to Your Holy Spirit and still come back, until we may love you with everything us.
Amen.
0 comments:
Post a Comment